About This NYSED Social Work Board Approved Online Self-Study (4-CEUs)
All our Online Self-Study courses are approved by the NYSED Social Work Board. As per NYSED Office of the Professions Continuing Education Self-Study Course requirements, please note the following updates listed on their official website:
In response to the evolving situation with the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and for those licensees whose registrations are due to renew March 1-January 1, 2021, the Department will grant an adjustment to all licensees to complete up to 100% of the continuing education as self-study, so long as it is taken from a Department-approved provider and is in an acceptable subject area for the specific profession.
Integrative Care: Mental Illness and Psychopharmacology provides an integrative and culturally informed framework to understanding mental illness. A biological and epigenetic lens will be applied to examining mental illness. Psychiatric milieu therapy, psycho-dynamic and CBT approaches to treating mental health disorders, not limited to: anxiety, post-traumatic stress, depression, bipolar and schizophrenia will be considered. Psychopharmacology and medication management and treatment will be reviewed. Practitioners will examine the impact of the environment and stigma on coping and adjusting to illness. Furthermore, consideration is given to how integrating nutrition, mindfulness and holistic interventions can support healthier life outcomes.
- Implement a client-centered and culturally informed approach to working with diverse populations.
- Identify psychiatric features and symptoms across the spectrum of mental health disorders.
- Review psychotropic medications prescribed for treating mood disorders
- Consider the side effects, and therapeutic uses of antidepressant medications.
- Evaluate the side effects, and therapeutic uses of antipsychotic medications.
- Explore therapeutic approaches to improve treatment adherence: cultivating patient rapport and care coordination with prescribing practitioners.
- Examine the unique medication treatment approaches for geriatric patients.
- Consider integrative nutrition as a complementary regimen for treating mental illness.
About The Instructor
Trélan Nicole Holder, MS, LCSW is a skilled psychotherapist with extensive years of counseling experience in mental health and human services. Trélan attained her Bachelor of Science Degree in Psychology from Clark University, her Master of Science Degree in Social Work from Columbia University, and a Certificate in Bioethics and Medical Humanities from Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Cardozo Law School. Additionally, her clinical pursuits include: a postgraduate certificate in psychodynamic psychotherapy training from the NYU Institute for Psycho-analytic Education. Trélan is a Senior Lecturer at Columbia University School of Social Work.
This workshop is open to Licensed Professionals
Continuing Education Units (CEU) Information
4 continuing education hours are available